Friday 28 October 2011

Borders


The short story “Toba Tek Singh”, by Saadat Hasan Manto is a very interesting story about people who were forced to leave there homes not knowing what was going on, on the other side. The people in this story (lunatics) were forced to move to a new area not knowing where they were going which made it that much harder for them to adapt to a new place and just forget about where they came from and these two countries were simply divided by barbed wire. Homes were being divided and people were just being torn apart and forced to accept what was going on. The violence between India and Pakistan was just mind boggling because these two divided countries used to be one. I couldn’t imagine what these people were going through at this time and to me it’s very tragic.

After reading this short story, I thought more about what it was like to cross borders so I decided to look more into what was going on at this time between these two countries at the time. I thought more about the things that families go through at this point it time because it is a very difficult process. I. myself wasn’t born in Canada and I had to go through this process myself but because I was so young I didn’t fully understand what was going on at the time and now that I am older I’m starting to gain more knowledge about my family had to go through this. Also I have learned that this process is harder for some people. The difficulties that some people have to go through is just ridiculous and all they can really do is accept it and go through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment