Friday 28 October 2011

Interview with a Migrant

Recently I got the opportunity to interview my mother who migrated her family from Jamaica to New York and then to Canada. I personally knew some of what my mother had to go through to get us here but I never knew or understood the details of it because I was so young. By interviewing my mother I found out that she started the process of trying to migrate to another country before I was even born. It was a 10 year process and when I was creating my questions I asked her all the questions in regards to why she wanted to move to a new country with her 13 brothers and sisters. She felt it wasn't safe living in Jamaica at the time and she wanted a better life for her kids in terms of education and better opportunities. I personally did not want to move to Canada but now that I am older I understand why she made this decision and I agree with the choice she made. I believe that I would have had more struggles if I were living in Jamaica or New York at this point in my life and I am very happy to be a Canadian citizen. I do plan on visiting back home more consistently as well as my family in New York now that I am of age to do so on my own.

1 comment:

  1. Thats a really touching story of migration. I am glad that your mother was able to open up to you about her life and the story of how she got to where she is today. Neither of my parents are migrants, but it is surprising to think that when we are younger we may not think about how good we have it to be growing up in Canada, and it is not until we become older that we realize the sacrifices that our parents or even grandparents made to give us and our families a better life and opportunities. You have a great story, and thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete